Q: I’m expecting my US residency shortly. My whole family lives in Florida. In the meantime I decided to start working as independent Marketing Consultant here in the Dominican Republic.
I’m very much into writing, and looking how to develop a career as a copywriter, editor or similar work.
I’m a single mom, so having no family and living here has been tough, and I needed to start to work by my own, to be close to my kid.
I was wondering how I can start doing something before my arrival, and not really start all over again (although that is obvious) but I mean, at least having an idea of what to do next.
A: Hi Cheryl-
As a “virtual” copywriter or editor, you can work with anyone, anywhere, so you really don’t have to wait to begin anything.
Here’s what I would do if I were you:
1. Determine your service offerings and packages. Be specific about what you can offer, whether that is content creation, blogging, copy editing, etc. Find out what others call what you do so that you know how people will look for you.
Here’s a resource to help you with your keyword research: 7 Secrets to Successful Keyword Research
And one to help with your SEO: Search Engine Optimization: 11 Basic SEO Strategies for Beginners
2. Figure out who comprises your target market. Here are some resources to help you:
3. Optimize your site for your target market and your services. Here’s a helpful resource: Search Engine Optimization: 11 Basic SEO Strategies for Beginners
4. Reach out to influencers who serve the same target market but offer different services using this strategy: 5 Step Introvert Guide to Getting More Clients from Your Industry’s Top 20 Influencers
5. Create a free client attraction device to begin to build your email list. I suggest you use aWeber for this. Once you’ve created it, here’s how you can promote it:
10 Proven Methods to Promote Your Free Client Attraction Device
6. Start to hold webinars with a call to action to schedule a strategy session with you. Here’s a resource to help you develop a signature webinar: How to Grow Your List and Make More Sales with Your Signature Teleseminar
To help you promote your webinar, check out 15 Powerful Ways to Promote Your Teleclass
To help you develop a speaker sheet that makes it easy for hosts to say “yes!” to your offer, review this strategy: Teleseminar Marketing: 10 Secrets to Being the Guest Expert EVERYONE Wants to Interview
8. Begin to build a list on a social network where your target market hangs out and begin to share useful information there.
If you’d like more help in creating your marketing plan or increasing your online visibility, schedule a FastTrack Marketing Session with me here.
Best-selling author Donna Gunter works with successful business owners who are experts in their fields and established in their industry and are seeking a way to stand out from their competitors. Using her Ideal Clients on Autopilot System©, she helps them determine the exact strategies to generate more qualified leads and better-paying clients with automated systems. This proven system makes all their marketing easier and more effective and they find themselves positioned as the only choice for their clients.